Post partum we experience a lot of nether-region issues, so ensuring our digestive health is top-notch will make the world of difference. That first poop is something I still try to block from my memory!
Of course we are grateful for our precious babies, but (ouch) vaginal tearing and hemorrhoids do not mix well with a bunged-up pooper. Fiber is the key remedy here, and while it’s tempting to sprinkle on the bran-buds or mix the Metamucil, the best bet for your tummy is fiber rich foods, mostly in the form of fruits and vegetables. In the first days after baby, be sure to incorporate fiber rich foods into your diet such as:
- Kale (any leafy greens do the trick)
- Apples and pears
- Ground flaxseed (great in oatmeal and smoothies)
- Whole grain rice & bread
There are also a number of other solutions to help your digestive health:
- Drinking lots of water. Hydration helps!
- Being active. Get your digestive pipes pumping by getting up for a walk or two each day.
- Drinking hot lemon water.