Eating a healthy diet doesn’t need to be hard or complicated! Incorporating some simple changes into your daily routine, can have a huge impact on your health and your waistline.
Often, we jump into the deep end to quickly… adopting an "all or nothing" personality. Unfortunately, this thought process typically ends up sabotaging our goals and derailing our efforts. With all the rigid rules, restrictions, and various the types of eating - Paleo, Keto, Whole 30, standard bodybuilding diets - it’s no wonder we are all confused and end up throwing in the towel out of frustration.
It doesn’t need to be hard, you can start making some simple shifts that will create a healthy and balanced life that will help you to live the healthiest and best version of You!
Here are 5 simple shifts you can do today!
- Cook a large batch of food once a week. At the start of each week by cooking a batch of rice, beans, or quinoa. These serve as a great base for your weekly meals. Having some foods already prepared will help set yourself up for success during the week. Don’t be afraid to get creative! A single pot of Quinoa can be used for any meal, from a veggie bowl to breakfast cereal.
- Be mindful of portion size. Many times, it’s not what we eat, but how much! Use this handy guide for help.
3. Harness the power of making healthy swaps. You’re more likely to stay on the good nutrition train long term if you learn how to make healthier versions of foods you really enjoy eating, instead of ditching them altogether. Some simple swaps are as follows:
- Swap half (not all) of the potatoes on mashed potatoes for cauliflower
- Exchange regular wraps for a low carb high protein alternative
- Use Greek Yogurt (add some taco seasoning!) in lieu of sour cream
- Use stevia in place of sugar
- Make your own treats from real ingredients! (way better then bought)
- Roast instead of fry
- Use avocado instead of mayo
- Eat a piece of fruit instead of drink a glass of juice
- Have a glass of water after any and all alcoholic beverages
4. Bring lunch to work at least 3 times a week. Anything you make yourself is likely to be healthier than what you’d order from a restaurant or purchase pre-made from a store/deli. Even “healthy” options tend to have a ton of hidden ingredients that equal a lot of calories. We understand that packing a lunch can be hard, so start slow and work up to 3-4 times a week. Your wallet and your waistline will thank you!
5. Eat meals that are at least half vegetables and start with the veggies first! Filling up on the veggies first is a preventative step toward ensuring you may be too full to finish all of that mac ‘n cheese. A great way to get those veggies in before the consuming the rest of your meal is by add a salad before every dinner meal. Vegetables provide so many great micro nutrients, so make sure you are adding variety, and color to every meal… yes, even breakfast! Here are some delicious ways to add veggies to your breakfast meals:
- Add sautéed spinach or kale to an open-faced egg sandwich
- Make a veggie egg white frittata
- Asparagus’ quiche
- Make a roasted pepper, onion, spinach and sweet potato skillet topped with a poached egg
Eating for energy and health doesn’t need to be hard or restrictive. SiSters in Shape believes in balance, health and living a life you love!
Post by SiS Coach, Virginia
As a full-time Development Manager and mother of two teenagers, Virginia understands the need for a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Her passion for fitness began 15 years ago as a personal trainer. Since then, she has also gained certifications in holistic nutrition and sports nutrition. Virginia finds strength in being a SiS coach and empowering other women to live like the Power Women they are.
Do you wish you had someone to REALLY support you FULLY to reach your goals through:
- EXERCISE (specific to your unique life!),
- NUTRITION (specific for your unique body and goals!)
- Accountability and mindset coaching
- An approach that takes your long term health and lifestyle into account
- Peer support from other like-minded women?
Through the unique sisterhood of our Sisters in Shape online client/coach community, women are changing. We know that our affordable, balanced and fully CUSTOMIZED approach to helping you crush your goals is what you've been looking for.