By Nathalie Bourgoin
Did you know that 55-78% your body is made up of water?
So, it’s not much of a surprise that your body NEEDS water to function properly. We find that one of the biggest struggles for our SiS Online clients when starting a new healthy lifestyle is getting into the routine of drinking enough water to support their goals.
Having to pee too often, boring taste, or just plain forgetting can deter us from the hydration we need.
Are one of these road blocks stopping you?
Maybe you have started drinking lots of water … but found yourself in the bathroom way too often. Sometimes, this can lead to discouragement and cause us to revert back to minimal water drinking. Rest assured, you’re not alone.
Think of the soil around a potted plant. If it’s watered as it should, the earth absorbs the water and the water can then do its job. If you are forgetful about watering your plant, the soil dries up and hardens and when you water it, the water doesn’t get absorbed. It literally trickles off the sides of the plant, not benefiting the plant at all as it runs right through and down. Think of your bladder as that soil. You can’t start chugging 2 liters of water if your body isn’t used to getting that much. Start with 1 liter and gradually increase the amount. Every few days, add an extra cup or 2 to your amount until you reach your targeted amount. Sipping water will be more effective in this case for your body to absorb.
Maybe you find it bland in taste. Instead of using store-bought refined sugar or fructose flavoring agents, try using something natural to flavor your water. Here are some of my favorites:
- Citrus slices
- Adding chia seeds to water changes the texture, almost like a bubble tea and chia seeds are a great fat
- Hot water with lemon
- Using frozen fruit infuses the water even more as it thaws
3. Maybe you are forgetful about drinking water.
Create some WATER RULES to keep yourself accountable:
First thing in the morning, drink a glass of water.
- Every time you walk by a water fountain, stop for a drink. If you’re feeling hungry have some water first. Maybe you’re just dehydrated and not really hungry.
- Get a water jug you LOVE: It doesn’t have to be costly; make it a fun DIY project! Decorate the jug yourself with a decal that has inspires or motivates you.
- Use a straw: you will drink more when using a straw
- Visualize your healthy glowing skin from drinking more water!
- THERE’S AN APP FOR THAT! Water Your Body or Water Logged are great to give you reminders and helping you keep on track. You could also set an alarm on your phone reminding you to drink more water.
By just recognizing that one of these three things is keeping you from your water and wellness goals, you’ve taken the first step towards doing better. Drink up!
Post by Nathalie
Nathalie is a mother of two young daughters and a full time Quality Control Coordinator. She knows life can be quite demanding and it can be difficult to find time to take care of yourself.
Do you wish you had someone to REALLY support you FULLY to reach your goals through:
- EXERCISE (specific to your unique life!),
- NUTRITION (specific for your unique body and goals!)
- Accountability and mindset coaching
- An approach that takes your long term health and lifestyle into account
- Peer support from other like-minded women?
Through the unique sisterhood of our Sisters in Shape online client/coach community, women are changing. We know that our affordable, balanced and fully CUSTOMIZED approach to helping you crush your goals is what you've been looking for.